Other names: Hard Maple, Rock Maple, Érable franc, Érable franche
Botanical Name: Acer saccharum
En français: Érable à sucre
The sugar maple is the national tree of Canada. Sap is extracted to produce maple syrup.
Width: Branches leading to a narrow, round-topped crown.
Best Soil: Likes organic, moist, slightly acidic soil but also tolerates poorer soils. Low to moderate pollution tolerance.
Its natural habitat: Rich woods, rocky hillsides..
Caring for Sugar Maple
Flowers appear at same time as leaves. Moderate to fast growing. Shade tolerant but needs full sun for good development. Wide-spreading roots. Do not plant where road salt, pollution and soil compaction are problematic.
Companion plant suggestions include American Beech, White Pine, Eastern Hemlock.
- Slender Blazing StarSlender Blazing Star is an upright, clump-forming perennial with fluffy, purple flowers that bloom in late summer. It is best to plant it with slow-growing perennials or as a border plant, as it is a shorter, non-competitive plant. The long-blooming perennial Liatris, a slender blazing star or gayfeather, is native to eastern North America. It…
- Sansevieria (Snake) Plant VarietiesSnake Plants are available in various shapes, colors, and sizes, so you are sure to find one that’s right for you. The following are a few Sansevieria varieties every Snake Plant lover should know about. You might want more information on the adaptability of sansevieria houseplant. Sansevieria trifasciata There are many cultivars of Sansevieria trifasciata,…
- False Solomon’s SealFalse Solomon’s Seal boasts beautiful white blossoms, scarlet fruit, and fragrant petals. It is native throughout North America. It grows from 30 to 75 cm tall and has light green alternating leaves and a zigzagging stem with a flower head or cluster of fruit at its tip, depending on the season. You might be interested…
- Starry False Solomon’s SealStarry False Solomon’s Seal has attractive foilage, flowers, and berries that form a dense groundcover once established. The narrow oval-shaped leaves are about 3-12 cm long (2”-5”) and arranged alternately in 2 rows along the stem. A showy flower with bright white flowers and green, oval-shaped leaves that attract birds. It is paired well with…
- Zaatar Climbing HerbZaatar is an interesting herb and kind of acts like a climbing sage. The leaves are good to eat fresh, and they are quite spicy when dried. The heat and humidity continue to be a factor and to add to the misery, I am covered in poison ivy and wild parsnip sores. Yes, I did…
- Blue CohoshBlue Cohosh is well-known for its effects as a female health supplement. Native Americans employed roots and flowers as herbal medicine to cure a variety of diseases and as a general tonic. Blue cohosh is thought to have actions comparable to those of the hormone oestrogen. It is a lovely wildflower with distinctive spherical blue…