The La Mortella Gardens were created starting in 1958 by Lady Susana Walton , the Argentinian-born wife of the English composer Sir William Walton. The gardens are located on the promontory of Zaro in the municipality of Forio, on the island of Ischia. Today La Mortella belongs to the William Walton and La Mortella Foundation, which takes care of it, administers it, opens it to the public and takes care of cultural activities.
Today the botanical heritage of the gardens of Villa Taranto is enormous: it includes around 1,000 non-indigenous plants and around 20,000 varieties and species of particular botanical importance. The Villa cannot be visited, because it is currently the seat of the Prefecture of the new Province of Verbano-Cusio-Ossola.
Isola Bella (lit. ‘beautiful island’) is one of the Borromean Islands of Lago Maggiore in North Italy. The island is situated in the Borromean Gulf 400 metres from the lakeside town of Stresa. Isola Bella is 320 metres long by 400 metres wide and is divided between the Palace, its Italianate garden, and a small fishing village.
The Giusti Garden is one of the finest late Renaissance Italian gardens, and belongs to and is a splendid appendage to the Palazzo Giusti. Begun at the end of the 16th century, the garden was gradually completed and embellished. In this one, writes Vallotto, magnificence competes with nature and its construction must be defined “Italian style” by means of expedients, by juxtapositions with other congeners of Florence, Fiesole, Rome. The Second World War hit this garden hard: the plants, if they were not given away or cut, were terribly mutilated, and it was not taken into account whether they were common or valuable plants. Currently, thanks to the continuous active care given to it, the Garden has regained its pristine beauty.
Behind Palazzo Pitti lies the wonderful Boboli Gardens. The Medicis were the first to take care of its arrangement, creating the Italian garden model which became exemplary for many European courts. The vast green area, divided evenly, constitutes a veritable open-air museum, populated by ancient and Renaissance statues, decorated with grottoes, first of all the very famous one created by Bernardo Buontalenti, and large fountains, such as that of Neptune and of the Ocean.
A historic villa, built in the early 1600s and known for its magnificent gardens, Villa Gamberaia is located in the hills of Florence, about fifteen minutes’ drive from the city centre, in an exceptional position overlooking the Arno valley. The villa and its luxurious rooms are available for weddings, meetings, conferences and exhibitions. The villa and the apartments located within the property are available for rent to spend your vacation in Tuscany.
Villa Lante is located in the locality of Bagnaia, near Viterbo, in the north of Lazio (Italy). Attributed to Giacomo Barozzi da Vignola (although there is no period document to prove it), it has gardens representative of the mannerism of the “surprise gardens” of the Renaissance , comparable to those of Bomarzo. They are classified among the Grandi Giardini Italiani.
Situated in northern Lazio, home to one of the most important Renaissance Gardens in Europe. The area has the greatest concentration of historic gardens in the world and is surrounded by vineyards, olive trees and Italy’s largest producers of hazel nut
The Villa d’Este is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and a masterpiece of Italian architecture and garden design. It is an incomparable example of a 16th century Italian garden – one of the first “giardini delle meraviglie” – due to its innovative design and the ingenuity of its garden’s architectural works.
A truly striking garden, the garden of Ninfa comprises for 8 hestares with over 1000 plants, including cherry and ornamental apple trees that bloom spectacularly in spring, varieties of deciduous magnolias, birches, marsh iris and a sensational variety of Japanese maples.
The Villa Borghese Park occupies a large area in the heart of the city. The villa contains buildings, sculptures, monuments and fountains, the work of illustrious artists of Baroque, neoclassical and eclectic art, surrounded by secular trees, ponds, Italian gardens and large open spaces, created with great care. It offers its visitors historical and naturalistic itineraries as well as numerous cultural, recreational and sporting activities.
The Botanical Garden of Rome covers an area of about 12 hectares in the very heart of the city, occupying part of the archaeological area called Horti Getae, which in ancient times contained the thermal baths of Septimius Severus. View over around 3,500 plant species.
Founded in 1543, it is one of the first university botanical garden in the world. It houses plants from five continents : succulents from African and American deserts; the aromatic plants of the Mediterranean maquis; the species of the Tuscan marshes; numerous secular trees and many others.
One of the most beeutiful gardens in Italy, Regia Accademia degli Studi was created in 1779. For its new chair of botany and natural history, the Regia Accademia obtained modest land from the city to set up a small botanical garden dedicated to the cultivation of medicinal plants useful for education and public health.
The world’s first university botanical garden was established in Padua in 1545, making the Botanical Garden of Padua the oldest surviving example of this type of cultural property. The Botanical Garden of Padua is the origin of botanical gardens in Europe and represents the birth of botanical science, scientific exchanges and the understanding of the relationship…