Vegetable Growing Calendar
- In early April, plant seeds of tomatoes indoors.
- As soon as the ground can be worked, dig new beds. Add amendments, such as composted manure and compost, to new or existing vegetable beds.
- In mid- to late April, you can do the first sowings outdoors of cold season vegetables, such as spinach, peas, lettuce, onion sets, cabbages, kohlrabi, radishes and early potatoes, weather permitting. Raised beds and microclimates will warm up quicker.
- Transplants of broccoli and brussel sprouts can be planted in the garden, having been previously hardened off.
- You can plant squash, cucumber, and melon seeds indoors.
Source: Master Gardeners of Ottawa Carleton Vegetable Growing Calendar