April Garden Activities – for Canadian Hardiness zones 4 and 5
- start summer flowering bulbs (dahlias, cannas, etc.) indoors
- apply dormant oil spray to fruit trees and shrubs
- remove heavily matted leaves from garden beds, shred and use as a mulch
- clean away plant debris from perennial beds
- watch for lily beetles emerging on warm days; hand pick and destroy.
- turn over the compost pile and mix in some shredded leaves
- apply an organic pre-emergent weed killer such as corn-gluten meal to lawns to control crab-grass (when forsythia is in bloom)